In the Kitchen, Sunday's Grocery, Yardbird • Feb 10, 2018
Yardbird may be known for yakitori, but there’s no greater celebration of chicken than homemade chicken soup! Often referred to as “Jewish penicillin,” chicken soup is the ultimate comfort food – perfect for the cold weather and even better if you’re feeling a bit sick. There are many variations of the classic chicken soup recipe but Matt has perfected his version, which can be found on the Yardbird menu. Check out Matt’s tips on how to make the best chicken soup below!
1. Get as many chicken bones as you can and blanch them for about 3 minutes to remove any blood.
2. Place the chicken bones into a pot of cold water (or dashi if you have).
3. Add one whole white onion, one whole welsh onion, and lots of fresh, chopped ginger (with skin on).
4. Simmer for about 2-3 hours or until reduced by half.
6. Season with light soy sauce, salt, and pepper.